NerdFamily Things

has been moved to new address

http://www.nerdfamilythings.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Nerd Family Things: Salem Ridge Press Books Review
My Photo
Name:
Location: Fresno, California, United States

A homeschooling, conservative nerdy mom of 4!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Salem Ridge Press Books Review

I recently received 3 books from Salem Ridge Press to review. Salem Ridge Press was started by a homeschool graduate in order to republish classic children's books. These books are a little different because they are all from the 1800's and early 1900's.

These books are pretty good but I feel you need to be careful. One of the books I received was The American Twins of the Revolution. It is a nice piece of historical fiction but it has slavery in it. That doesn't bother me (it is a sign of the times) but it is something you need to be aware of so that you can discuss the issue with your children. These books were written a long time ago with different issues so I would recomend parents read the books first because kids on the younger side (maybe under 6th grade) may have a lot of questions. The other issue with this book is the slave speak so to say. It is dialogue that is filled with gramatical errors and unclear words (I had to read it out loud in order to figure out all the words). That would be very frustrating to my 2nd grader.

But over all I do really like these books. In the spirit of full disclosure, I think some (if not all) of these books are in public domain but for the price you do get a nicely bound book. So go over and look at what Salem Ridge Press has to offer!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home