NerdFamily Things

has been moved to new address

http://www.nerdfamilythings.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Nerd Family Things: Favorite Books?!?!?
My Photo
Name:
Location: Fresno, California, United States

A homeschooling, conservative nerdy mom of 4!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Favorite Books?!?!?

I think I am in love with some new books! Everyone knows that I love The Well Trained Mind and use it as a guide for my homeschooling. I also use Story of the World for my history spine. So this is all well and good for your kids but what about those of us who missed out on this type of rich education? I personally am reading along the kids but I would like my classical education to not take another 12 years.

Well, it seems I am not alone. Susan Wise Bauer has written The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had. This goes over improving reading skills, creating a reading schedule, and book lists. To complement this, she has also authored The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome. This is written in the same delightful style as Story of the World but just a little more maturely. I checked it out from the library to see if it was worth the buy and it is! It is easy to just pick and read a little, go chase the kids (or whatever you all have to do) and then come back and read some more.

So if any of you feel a bit ripped off in the education arena, do something about it. After all you are a responsible adult;). Go check out these books!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!!

August 7, 2008 at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home